Thursday, September 24, 2009

5 Guys


5 Guys
Oil on Canvas
9 x 12 inches
2009
Auburn, Alabama
September 18, 2009

Occasionally I will take suggestions on what to paint for the 100 paintings of Auburn. This suggestion came from my daughter Savannah. 5 Guys is a new hamburger restaurant on College St. It’s very good and usually crowded. Her intentions were for me to paint the outside and while painting treat her to a hamburger and fries.

When I got there I couldn’t really find a good outdoor view but I could see a spot to paint the inside. I could park myself outside the window and paint the inside. It was a near impossible scene. People were in constant motion, there is light everywhere and I had no room to move back from my easel. It was challenging me so I decided to give it a try.

I painted by just spotting color everywhere I could and painting what didn’t move, which wasn’t much. Then I put in the people. While I painted I met several old friends and entertained children who always see a painter as a performer, which I guess I was.

I tried to eat some fries while painting, but they started to taste a bit like paint. In the end I couldn’t really make out what I had done until I got back to the studio. Busy group scenes can be fun but I promised myself to find a nice pastoral scene the next day.

If you would like to buy "5 Guys" please contact Ronald Bayens at
bayens@bellsouth.net
334-740-0077

No comments:

Post a Comment