Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Stormy on the Plains

Stormy on the Plains
Oil on Canvas
8 x 10 inches
2009
Auburn, Alabama
September 19, 2009

I think this game day in Auburn will always be remembered for the big storms that rolled through right before the game delaying it for an hour.

This painting was done earlier in the day just outside the university library near Samford Street. I started with the relaxed feeling a painter gets with an overcast day. I didn’t have to rush because there was no light to make shadows to chase, however the relaxation didn’t last long.

Soon it got darker after I was well under way then the skies opened up and the rain came down heavy. What do you do when it rains while painting, keep painting oil and water don’t mix. Sometimes I like the strange rough texture I get went water runs through the paint. It would have been fine but then out comes the sun! I saw an opportunity to catch it on the white tent to add some drama to a day that would see much more.

That was the only painting I did that day after that I was off to kayak the Tallapoosa. I different kind of thrill that included a 15 foot drop over a waterfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment