Monday, August 24, 2009

The Mushroom

The Mushroom

Oil on Canvas Panel

8 x10 inches

2007

Killarney, Ontario


This was the first time I had been back in Ontario in the fall in twelve years. I had travelled alone to spent some time with my Mom who had rented a cottage in Killarney. Killarney is a wonderland at the north end of Georgian Bay. The landscape is mountains of exposed quartzite that makes the hills always look like they are covered in snow. The lakes are emerald green and turquoise blue.
My friend Tony Bianco had come up to spend two days painting with me. Will all the scenery around, you would think that finding something to paint would be easy. This is not always the case.
We headed up a trail that promised to have the chance of opening up to a grand view of the mountains and so off we went. After a mile lugging painting gear, we were still in the woods. We decided the trail would do.
As happens so many times when I paint with Tony, he painted looking up and I painted looking down. I found a large mushroom and liked the way it sat in the leaves.
We had a great laugh over my choice of subjects. It later became part of an ongoing joke. When I would botch a painting he would say, “Well you will always have the mushroom”.

No comments:

Post a Comment