Friday, July 3, 2009

100 Degrees in the Shade


100 Degrees in the Shade
$100


Oil on Canvas Panel
8 x10 inches
2009
Auburn, Alabama

This painting was done at the farm “ Southern Springs” where my daughter takes riding lessons. As the title tells it was dreadfully hot, not just in the sun but shade too.
I looked all around for something to paint and was getting tired of wiping the sweat from my eyes so I stopped in the back field. I set up the easel and began to pull paints out and noticed that I had no blue. Everything in the picture was a tropical green and as I mix my green from yellow and blue I was stuck. It then struck me that if it was a hot day, make a hot painting. I mixed the orange reds and went at it as a tonal painting. It is one of my favorite ways to paint.
When I was near the end of the painting I heard footsteps behind me or rather hoof steps and there was Savannah on Star, her pony.
It was nice to get back to air conditioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment